Dorfold Hall


The recently redesigned borders flanking the two lawns to the South of the house provide an array of wonderful colours in the shape of roses, irises, delphineums, peonies, Himalayan poppies and many more - these are at their best in June. As for the yew buttressed border is planted with herbaceous plants who come into their own in July until September.

The Dingle

The dingle was created in 1906 as a rock garden, but fell into disuse during WWII. It was then reinstated by Richard Roundell in the 1980s as a spring garden. It comes into its own in the spring when it offers a spectacular display of rhododendrons, azealeas, magnolias and camelias, as well as daffodils, bluebells, and snowdrops.


The statue in the centre of the courtyard, entitled Chienne et ses petits, c. 1860, by French sculptor Pierre-Louis Rouillard, depicts a Wolfhound bitch wearing a chain and collar, standing protectively over her three puppies. It was purchased by Wilbraham Tollemache at the 1862 Salon Exhibition in Paris.

A George III statue of William Shakespeare (circa 1800), who died the year of the house's inception in 1616.

The Jacobean gateway holding busts of Queen Anne and King James VI stands near the clocktower and was used as one of the entrances to the stableyard. The gateway was originally transferred from the Wilbraham Almhouses in Nantwich (built in early 1600s) when they were demolished. The Almhouses had been built by Sir Roger Wilbraham the first owner of the Dorfold Estate.

Spanish Chestnut

Over a thousand years old, this tree is a legacy of the original Delamere Forest, it can be found near the Old Stableyard.

The Clocktower

The clocktower was built in 1824, at the same time as the small extensions to the main house and courtyard walls. Both the tower and weathervane were renovated in 2015.

The Lake

The lake originally extended across the front of the house. In 1862, William Nesfield remodelled the lake, reducing its size so that a straight driveway could be built for the house. The lake was dredged in 2014, with some 20,000 tons of silt removed, restoring it to its former glory.